Friday, June 20, 2008

The Deep Music: Some Poems by Young Writers

I am pleased to present the first of many poems by the young writers involved in The Deep Music: Poems from the Prison Crisis. These poems were written over the last several weeks in our workshop. Most of the poets are 14-15 years old. One is older. More poems to come!


Q: = A:?

Dad, will you be the bright
light to guide my way?

Popz, can I be the inspiration
and motivation in your life?

Dad, can you hold me tight
and don’t let go?

Popz, can we dance all night
and ignore the extra and unnecessary?

Dad, can you please take my hand
and take me with you in your journey to life?

Father, can you please answer my 5 questions
and fulfill all thousand of my dreams?

by Jackie Castillo


Born and Raised in NE DC

At age one I lost my father to the law,
but never lost my father to my heart.
Yep, growing up was tough
for a young girl with no dad at home.
To tell her right from wrong,
to play and laugh whenever.
But that never stopped me.
Everything I would go through
from now on until I died
was just life for you.
It wasn’t always perfect.
And neither is being a princess
of your own castle.

by DeShayla Breonne Sherod


My Hidden Neighborhood

All people think where I live
is a dangerous place.
Since I live in Kenilworth
all they ever think is
drugs, money, police, and gangs.

I know the real beauty of it –
you get to play outside
and have fun with it.
You don’t have to worry
about who’s going to get shot next
or who’s going to be the next person locked up.

Yeah, I live in the ghetto –
you have to start somewhere.
I wouldn’t want to live nowhere else.
I would like for the crime to stop.
But this is my home.
People can say and do what they want
but this is my hidden neighborhood.

by Ivory Garner

No comments: