Saturday, June 21, 2008

Poems by Kayla Becton and Durrell Becton

In This One You Are

In this one you are
the most angry person
I ever met.

You are the most evilest of all.
You are the CEO of hatred.
You rebel on things that have
nothing to do with you.
You swear you are hard
but in reality you are scared.

I laugh cause it’s funny
how people change within
a blink of an eye.

- Kayla Becton


Am I Really Home?

I walk to this door
that seems to be a place I call home
but to me it’s more like a war zone
with me in the heart of the mix.

With drug takers, liquor drinkers
and people that just don’t give a damn.
Is this what I call home?

Can’t be, ‘cause I see myself
better than that, living lavish
in a three-storey town house,
come out greeting my neighbors
with big-money grins.

But instead I’m in a house
with people that once had dreams
but now washed away as times goes on.
Am I really home?

- Kayla Becton



She doesn’t smile now.
He doesn’t laugh like he used to.
Laughter doesn’t break the plane
of what they’ve been through.
Give them one reason to put a smirk on their faces –
Hoodwinked and bamboozled is what they would say.
If Jim Crow must go, then Uncle Tom needs to pack too.
So she looks to the left because the other side doesn’t seem right.
He holds his flag half mast because they don’t see us to be high.
Wake up or stand up, for tomorrow is never today.
You see the pain in their eyes?
The struggle?
The oppression?
Dance! Dance! That’s what they told us to do.
So now they sit in shame watching you:
Sambo.

- Durrell Becton

No comments: